Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Nature by Night & Other Adventures

So, another highly adventurous weekend was had by yours truly up at Twa Corbies' Hollow. I went up for a "Nature by Night" On Friday evening, after arriving at the Hollow, my little buddy, Willowisp greeted me with his favorite thing: stick. We played for a bit then Lady Daphne packed up our supper, I picked out a lovely Pinot Noir and Cliff gathered 2 bottles of his fine ale that he makes and off we headed into the wood for an evening of fun.

The cabin is a small hunting cabin about 4 or 5 miles from the Hollow. On the way there, Daphne spotted a cute little porcupine twaddling along the side of the dirt road, as we drove closer, his quills stuck up in warning to stay back. We turned onto another dirt road that led to the cabin in the woods.

After settling into the cabin, we ate a hearty meal of organic stir-fry with brown rice, chicken & veg all grown from the Hollow. I had a couple of glasses of the Pinot Noir and the men drank their ales. The fireflies were out that night, so we all ventured out into the warm night to watch as little glowing balls of green & yellow light gave us a show. We could hear the flying squirrels in the brush, as well as a raccoon. The sky up above was filled with stars, something this city girl doesn't get to see very often.

The next morning after partaking in a Medieval breakfast of homemade cheese & bread (with another glass of wine) Cliff & I headed out for a little hike in the wood. We had some good conversation, he showed me coyote tracks that were somewhat fresh, bear dung that was a couple of days old and we found some chanterelles that were just a bit too ripe for the picking. I was a bit surprised that the flies didn't bite, as I am an "all you can eat buffet" to them. After our hike, we packed up the cabin and headed back to the Hollow for the day's work.

That evening, we got the horses, Acorn & Aval, readied & saddled up for a little exercise in the corral. I was to ride Acorn...riding a horse is something I haven't done since I was a teenager. So, to be honest, I was a wee bit nervous to be on top of a 1200lb Belgian. After getting into the saddle, I rode her around the corral as Cliff rode Aval. Of course when they started trotting, Acorn decided that she was going to follow their lead and proceeded to go a little faster than I was ready to experience at that moment. After she stopped, I had my trusty guide Natalia guide me along on the horse. You know, when you hear people talking about how sore they are after riding, I totally get what they are saying. After only riding Acorn for about 15-20 minutes, my inner thighs were screaming. Daphne chuckled as I slowly walked over to where she was after dismounting Acorn.

As always, my time at the Hollow are filled with a lot of good times. I especially like hanging out with Daphne, she is such a gentle soul and she laughs at my jokes. The girls are great, they don't rib me too much about being a city girl too much. Just before I left the Hollow, I was given a copy of "Lore of the Bard" which I am currently reading. It was written by Cliff a few years ago. It is a very interesting read about Celtic lore. I am only 1/2 way through it, so I can't really give a full review of it, but it is a very good book. If you can still find it out there, get it.

Slainte
Rowan
)O(

0 comments:

Post a Comment