Sunday, February 21, 2010

I'm A Feelin' Crafty

So, I've been battling an annoying cold for the past couple of weeks. It started out as a nagging sore throat, then I got the full brunt of it, now I have a cough that just won't go away. I haven't been deliberately avoiding blogging, I haven't even been on facebook that much (btw, I have a fan page there)
So I thought that today will be a good day to do some crafts with my son. I found a great recipe for salt dough in my recipe book. I used to make salt dough crafts when I was younger in school. I'll share my recipe with you, in case you want to try this fun craft yourself:

Basic Salt Dough Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of fine salt
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of water (may add more)

Instructions:

  • In a large bowl, combine the salt and the flour
  • Make a well in the salt/flour mixture and add the water
  • Knead until smooth and shape into a ball
  • When not in use, wrap in plastic or store in an airtight container

    HINT: To get a softer dough you can add more flour. Adding more salt will lend a more granulous affect. Use wallpaper glue and the dough with be more cohesive. To add color to your dough, use different types of flour or add food coloring or paint. Knead to get an even color. You may also paint your ornaments and sculptures after they dry. Bake in the over for a quicker drying time at 200F


I have a few pix of the preparation, but then the batteries died as we were cutting the dough. I made a star, a triple moon (tricky) and about 9 witches flying on broomsticks (gotta love Hallowe'en cookie cutters). I have hole poked through, so I can hang them up. Next will be the painting process. As you can tell, I'm adding to this as I go along with my craft. My son is having a ball playing with his share of the dough. This is a great way to spend a lazy Sunday.

Now, I'm waiting for the dough ornaments to be completely dry before I start painting them. They're on a cooling rack drying out, I did have them in the oven for about 1/2 hr then I like them to air dry, as well. Weird, I know.





0 comments:

Post a Comment