Thursday, September 9, 2010

Do You Say Grace??

So, on my way to work yesterday I was listening to the Crooked Path Podcast on my iPod. I had just downloaded some of them to listen to while walking to work, they're very interesting as they have a different take on Paganism, not just the "fluffy, love & light" side of things.

Anyway, Peter (Paddon, that is) brought something up on his episode about sacrifice about saying a type of Grace before we eat. This was something I never really thought of until lately in my life. It was something I never did as an Anglican/Episcopalian, but while I was reading a novel where Paganism was the main religion, they said Grace before every meal.
NOTE: Kate West was an influence on the author & helped him with things Pagan. Thanking the Gods for what we put into our mouths is another way of connecting with them. Also, thanking the animal's spirit whose meat we are eating (if you're not a vegetarian) and for thanking the Great Mother for the bounty of the produce we have, as well. I know a lot of you may be thing that saying Grace is a Christian thing, but in a way, they have that right by thanking their God for what they have, but there are also cultures who aren't Christian who thank their Gods, too.

Here are a couple of examples of a Pagan food blessings:


I Thank thee Great Goddess

For the bounty before me

A gift of thy great abundance.

Thank you for sustaining my life.

I receive your gift of food in gratitude.

OR

Lord and Lady, watch over us,
and bless us as we eat.
Bless this food, this bounty of earth,
we thank you, so mote it be.


These are just a few that I have found in the past couple of months. If you don't feel comfortable saying Grace before your meal, you can always have a moment of silence before eating.


~Rowan

)O(

2 comments:

Diandra said...

I thought about saying grace, but somehow always forgot it. What I do instead - while grocery shopping and cooking, I thank the gods and the earth and the beings we are about to eat. I think everybody needs to find their own way on this, but giving thanks never hurts.

Ponderosa Pagan said...

First off I love the set up of your blog! New follower. I am an ex catholic and I have been just recently getting back into prayers. My partner and I say a little blessing over our food thanking the animals and plants! It is a great way to reconnect with the sacred

http://ponderosapagan.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment