Saturday, January 2, 2010

Candlemas Hot Cocoa


I found this recipe in the 2010 Llewellyn Sabbats Almanac. I made it yesterday to see....as Rachael Ray would say, "Oh, my gravy!!" This warms you up inside & out, must be the cinnamon. Here's the recipe:

1tsp dried fennel
1/2C water
1/2C sugar
1/3C unsweetened cocoa
1/2tsp cinnamon
3C heavy cream
1/2tsp vanilla extract (real is best, but artificial will do)

In a small bowl, gently crush the fennel with the back of a spoon. Combine the next 4 ingredients with the fennel in a medium saucepan. Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly, until the cocoa is completely dissolved. Reduce the heat & simmer for about 5 minutes, occasionally stirring. Add the cream & simmer, again, for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the vanilla & simmer for 2 minutes. Pour into mugs, serves about 4-6. You can also add a shot of Sambuca if you like, the fennel was enough licorice taste for me. Top it off with large marshmallow or a dollup of whipped cream.

3 comments:

windchild said...

Hmm....could this be made without fennel I wonder? I cannot stand licorice.

Rowan LeBoutillier said...

I think so, I hardly tasted the fennel in it. I hate licorice, too. :-D

Rue said...

This sounds wonderful! I have that Almanac too, but I haven't read ahead to Imbolc yet. Best get on it, you have me inspired! (I mentioned you in my newest post, too!)

Cheers!

Post a Comment