Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Am A Witch


I am a witch.

I do not worship Satan; I am not interested in Satan.
I do NOT go to church on Sunday,
Nor do I have to enter any man made building to feel the presence of the Divine.

I am not afraid of going to Hell because
I don’t believe in Hell any more that I do Satan.


I believe in reincarnation. I believe I will continue to come back to this world or another until I have reached enlightenment and only then will I return to my Maker, to become one with the Universal Energy.

I am not evil.
Telling people that I am a “good witch” or asking me if I am a good witch implies that there are evil witches.
There are evil people who chose to hurt others through their action, those people are NOT witches.

The central law of being a witch is:
“An It Harm None, Do What Ye Will."

Please don’t ask be about sacrificing cats or eating children. Such an idea is foul and disgusting. I love my animals as part of my family, and have respect and reverence for all living things from the herb garden in my back yard to the neighbor next door.

Don’t ask me about desecrating Churches. As I don’t go into churches or synagogues unless a friend from that religion invites me to a special occasion. And if I DO enter a church, I am not struck by lightening. And if a Christian, Jew or Buddhist came to a pagan ritual, our Gods would not strike them dead either.

Isn’t that something to think about?

Wearing a Pentagram is no different than wearing a Cross, Crucifix or Star of David. If you want me to take off the symbol of MY religion (and Wicca is a religion, protected by the same First Amendment rights as other religions) because it’s offensive, you need to make everyone of every religion do the same. The five points of the star signify the four elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water, and the fifth point is Spirit. This star is then encircled by the Divine, which holds us all together. How that can offend anyone boggles my little pagan mind?

Also don’t ask me if I’m in a “coven” in that half-horrified, half-fascinated tone of voice. If I want to talk about my coven, I will bring it up. If I am a solitary practitioner, I have no coven to discuss. In any case, our rituals or “spells” are merely prayers to our Maker. They involve candles, poetry, food, and drink. We do rituals for healing, love, prosperity and protection. We honor the cycles of the moon, and the changing of the seasons.

We have eight holidays in which we celebrate:
Samhain (Halloween) is the day to remember those who have passed away.

Yule (Winter Solstice) When the Days get longer and the earth is deep in slumber.
Imbolc (Feb 2) When the first signs of spring appear, when new animals are born.
Ostra(Spring Exuinox) When spring has sprung and we have planted our crops.
Beltane (May 1) This is a time of love, and marriage.
Midsummer (Summer Solstice) When the days become shorter and the crops are in full bloom.
Lammas (Aug 2) When we give thanks for the first harvest of the year.
Mabon (Autumn Exuinox) When we give thanks for the big harvest of the year.

I do NOT drink blood. First off that is very unsanitary, secondly I’m not some kind of vampire. I wear black because it keeps away negativity and because it looks better on me than orange and purple polka dots. I do NOT fly around on a broom, although with climbing gas prices wouldn’t it be nice.

If you do want to ask me something related to MY religion, ask me when the next Full Moon is, or the next Blue Moon, or what a Blue Moon IS. Ask me about herbs and crystals.

Yes I would love to visit Salem Massachusetts, but not because any of those poor executed people were witches (I think the jury is still out on some of them), but because there are cool pagan shops there. If there were cool pagan shops in a town called East Cowflop, I’d go there.

Please DO NOT try to make me ashamed of who I worship or what I am. Please don’t try to convert or “save” me. Don’t throw holy water on me or wave a cross at me. Don’t leave little pamphlets on my desk or windshield. I don’t need to be saved. Witches are proud of the fact that we don’t recruit people into our religion. So I will NEVER leave a religious tract with anyone. I don’t have one, unless you count this And I am NOT asking for you to convert by handing you this letter, I am only asking that you understand. And if you don’t want to understand, then just leave me alone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

once again I am in awe of your writing.

Rowan LeBoutillier said...

I can't take credit for this, I got it from an old friend. But thanks, anyway. )O(

Changing Girl said...

Regardless of author, it is nice. I like it!

Rats said...

So true!!!

Bridgett said...

I need a little card printed with this so when somebody says something to me, I'll know just what to say. LOL

LOVE this.

)O(
boo

Southern Sweet Treats said...

I LOVE this! We are the healers of this world not the destroyers. Hopefully ppl will understand that this is a way of life as its been passed down through generation to generation.

Post a Comment